Thursday, October 15, 2015

My First #WESTEC



My first ever Westec show. I didn't know what to expect. Dan has been going since the late 90's and said it was MUCH different. But more about that later.

Got up at 4am, printed out some RFQs that we received at 9pm the night before. By 4:30am we were on the road.

We made really good time, only stopping once to fuel up and grab a quick bite to go. I-5 was full of construction though, but it continued pretty smoothly until the abrupt stop once we hit LA. It's very obvious.

Having to just go 16 miles, about 90% of it was bumper to bumper traffic. Yes, I totally should have made a pit stop in Castaic. Even while using the carpool lane, it still took a very long time. Gotta love that LA traffic.

Finally, we made it. Parked at a lot across the street for $20 all day.

We went on the 2nd day, a Wednesday. Thought it opened at 10am, but apparently it was 11am. Everyone was crowding to get in.

Once we got in, we just started in the middle. Saw a Hitachi mill. Yes, we were in search of a mill. Price wasn't bad at all. Looked at another model and moved on.


We ended up at the Methods booth next. Oh that Nakamura lathe was a beauty. But no, we're looking for a mill. It was a nice one. We received some nice swag from them.


We continued on. Every now and then Dan would see someone he knew, or someone that knew him would greet him. It was nice to finally put a face on the names that he's been mentioning for the last how many years.

Walked by this one booth and this shirt grabbed my attention. I had to take a picture. It was definitely Instagram worthy. Then the rep came up to us and asked if we wanted a shirt. "Sure!", I said. I was stoked. I really do like the shirt and I wore it the very next day. Dan has actually used one of their private labeled devices. Who still uses a floppy drive?


We walked on and checked more out. More stopping and greeting with industry folks that Dan knew. Got a bit more swag and some cards.

Now this booth caught my eye. Gorilla Drills. It was very clever. I mean, just look at it. There were drills inside the banana peels. It completely stood out from the crowd and I commented on it with a HUGE smile. Great marketing right there.


We continued to walk and walk and I noticed the back of this shirt and it read "Fight for America". I started thinking, "I know that." Then I saw that it was Titan and his entourage near the Autodesk booth. We saw them again at the HAAS booth. They had the 5th axis running.  While I was trying to get a picture, I noticed Titan a couple of feet behind me. Yup. he's pretty tall.


Walked around some more and saw some new Akira Seiki's. No way! 


I had Dan take a pic in front of one. And then that was it. That was all she wrote.

Throughout the day, Dan and those he networks with, would say how much smaller this show has become. Although they are there, it was pretty disappointing. This show took about 75% of the floor. In previous shows, that floor would have been completely packed. Not to mention the bottom floor would be completely packed as well. I didn't even know there was a bottom floor. He said that it would take 2 days to go through all of the booths.

   

A lot of the big named tools and machines no longer attend this event. Apparently the Santa Clara show is the same as well. If you really want to check out a show that has most of the manufacturers, #IMTS is the place to be.

It was my first show. I didn't know what to expect. I actually had no expectations. But now I'm looking forward to #IMTS


Did you go?
What did you think?
How many shows have you gone to?

#westec #machining #cuttingtools #cnc

No comments:

Post a Comment